- With their alliance secure, the Scorpion leave their Dragon allies to focus on laying the foundation of their plan to have the Scorpion Clan reinstated in three years time at Otomo Banu’s seventh “Imperial Court.”
- With the coming of spring, Kitsu Motso vengefully attacks the Crane in retaliation for their support of Otomo Banu’s interference. The Crane armies have recovered enough to fight the Lion to a standstill, but the cost is high, and substantial border territories are ravaged or lost.
- The Crane do their best to politically exploit the Lion abrogation of their peace treaty. Their efforts meet with only mixed success at best: the Phoenix and the Mantis cut off relations with the Lion, but the Unicorn do not yet seek a renewed war with the Lion Clan, and the Crab remain hostile to the Crane. Otomo Banu condemns the Lion aggression, but the only result of his words is for Kitsu Motso to publicly proclaim that Banu is not the Emperor.
- Sensing opportunity in the continued weakness of the Crane Clan, the Crab overrun all of the remaining southern Crane lands, seizing the coastal ports and inland agricultural areas all the way to the Spine of the World Mountains.
- Skirmishing resumes on the Lion-Unicorn border, with several Unicorn cavalry forces launching deep raids into Lion lands.
- Several of the larger Yobanjin tribes band together to cross the Great Wall of the North and raid the Phoenix and Unicorn territories. The Badger Clan, the last of the minor clans, is isolated and is effectively wiped out trying to resist these raids, and the Unicorn are weakened by the need to guard their northern borders.
- Hoshi Kaelung attempts to enlist the aid of Togashi Mitsu in the hunt for Kokujin, but Mitsu refuses.
- Tonbo Sezume is announced as the Dragonfly Champion, and begins work within the capital to gather the resources to rebuild her people’s lands.
- A new leader of the Legion of the Wolf rises, Kaneka a ronin who has served with almost all Clans for a period.
- The Crane launch a counter-offensive into their southern territories, catching the Crab armies over-extended. They re-take Mura Sabishii Toshi and several other settlements, but as the Crab fall back their defensive skills come to the fore, and the Crane drive comes up far short of their goal of reclaiming the ruins of Shinden Asahina.
- The Fox Clan takes advantage of the opportunity and rebels against the Crab. The spirits of the forest support the small Fox army, driving out the Crab garrison.
- Hoshi Kaelung and forty sohei attack Kokujin on the Plains Above Evil. Kaelung is the only survivor thanks to Hida Kuroda, eldest son of Hida O-Ushi, and his scouting force.
- After three years, the Lion resume full-scale war with the Unicorn by advancing troops from their bases in the Scorpion lands. They hope to move past the southern edge of the Spine of the World Mountains and outflank the main Unicorn defenses. The advance is heavily set back by sabotage, but nonetheless reaches the edge of Ide territory by mid-summer; the Unicorn forces in Ryoko Owari are cut off and forced into a deadly retreat across the Plains of Thunder.
- Hida Kuon, the aggressive younger son of Hida O-Ushi, opportunistically invades and seizes the Scorpion lands, cutting off the main supply line for the Lion. Kuon hopes to overrun the fertile Scorpion farmlands and use them as a base for retaking the Fox lands. Expectations of a quick victory are curtailed, however, when the Lion commander – a brilliant tactician named Ikoma Ken’no – manages to secure a secondary supply route through the formerly impassible Seikitsu Pass. Vicious warfare ensues all across the northern Scorpion lands and southern Unicorn lands, with major battles at Ryoko Owari and Toshi Aitate. The Miya lands are caught in the middle of the campaign, overrun, and largely destroyed, with Kuon razing the modest Kyuden Miya itself when daimyo Miya Yumi refuses to supply him with food.
- With the Lion Clan’s flanking move having come to nothing, the focus of the Lion-Unicorn war shifts back to the main front on the Sleeping River and near White Shore Lake. Bloody fighting continues throughout the summer, exhausting both sides.
- By autumn, logistic shortfalls force the Crab to pull back to the southern Scorpion territories near Shimomura. With the Lion and Unicorn likewise pulling back, the main Scorpion territory is left effectively unoccupied, and Scorpion samurai once again begin to quietly assert control of their homes.
- The Phoenix, appalled by the ongoing wars announce they will no longer accept apprentices to the Isawa School from outside their own clan.
- Otomo Banu holds his sixth “Imperial Winter Court” in Kyuden Doji. The Crane make an all-out effort to support Banu, hoping against hope that a recognized Emperor may grant them the strength they lack. However, the only other clans to send representatives to the court are the Mantis, the Phoenix, and a small delegation of Dragon. The Mantis are there mainly to demand more support for their claim to Great Clan status, while the Phoenix are there to urge for peace initially but become mired in trying to dismantle the Mantis’s political clout. The Mantis and Phoenix delegates quarrel bitterly throughout the winter. Near the end of the season, an increasingly frustrated Banu finally breaks down and loses face, launching a tirade against the ‘traitors’ who make up the rest of Rokugan. The Crane, furious at the political damage from their association with this unstable figure, unceremoniously end the Winter Court and expel Banu from their lands.
- Yoritomo, angry over the Winter Court’s outcome, personally launches a surprise attack on the Phoenix lands. With much of the Phoenix Clan’s strength already spent against the Dragon previously, their fleet is consumed by the Mantis Storms. Mantis soldiers mount a full-scale invasion of the Phoenix coast, capturing the City of Remembrance and Shiro Shiba. * The Moshi family, take vengeance upon the Phoenix, with Moshi Jukio and Yoritomo Wakiza slaying the Elemental Masters of Fire (Isawa Hochiu) and Earth (Isawa Taeruko) in a spectacular magical duel.
- The Crane, who are forced into action by their strong alliance to the Phoenix, send much of their remaining strength north and join with the surviving members of the Elemental Council to confront Yoritomo’s forces near Kyuden Isawa. What is left of the Council overwhelms the more numerous Mantis shugenja, managing to avenge their fallen numbers by defeating Yoritomo Wakiza. The joint Phoenix/Crane army (which also includes the Legion of the Wolf) devastates the smaller Mantis army; Yoritomo leads a final charge against the Phoenix, and he claims the lives of both of the enemy commanders (Doji Kuwanan and Shiba Tsukune) before he too falls. His adopted son Yoritomo Aramasu takes command of the Mantis forces and retreats to the clan’s bridgehead at the City of Remembrance. There he faces a surprise attack from the Legion of the Wolf; Kaneka defeats the Mantis but then agrees to spare their lives if they will immediately evacuate the Phoenix lands. Aramasu is impressed by Kaneka’s skill and compassion and offers to hire his services if the Phoenix no longer have need of him.
- Hida O-Ushi, alarmed by scout reports of a powerful new force rising within the Shadowlands, orders her armies pulled back from the Scorpion lands. She seeks a covert peace with the Scorpion.
- The Crane attempt to take advantage of the Crab withdrawal by occupying the southern Scorpion lands. Their force is ambushed and largely wiped out by an unknown force.
- The tide of war in the Lion-Unicorn conflict begins to swing slowly but inevitably against the Unicorn as the weight of Lion numbers and tactical acumen gains the edge.
- Doji Kuwanan’s death places the leadership of the Crane in the hands of his son, Doji Kurohito.
- Otomo Banu holds his seventh “Imperial Court.”